Adult Learners’ Week, a national celebration, coordinated by NIACE will take place from 18 – 24 May 2013. The Week recognises the benefits of lifelong learning and the achievements of outstanding individuals and innovative learning projects across England through Awards and events.
The Awards are designed to celebrate inspirational individuals who have benefited from learning through or about new technology, broadcasting, and for projects that provide learning activities in these areas. Examples include: online learning, learning with the use of new media and new technology gadgets (e-book readers, tablets, etc). They also celebrate projects that offer learning opportunities in this area.
There are a number of benefits to nominating:
- Nominating an outstanding learner will boost their self-confidence and turn them into a role model that will inspire others back into learning (find out what learners say about receiving the award.)
- It’s also the perfect opportunity to highlight your project or learning provision and the impact that your support has on the people you engage with.
- Nominations can be made for individual learners or learning projects.
- Click here to view the impact Adult Learners’ Week has.
There are two main nominating categories:
- Individual Learners: for adults whose remarkable achievements have made a difference to their lives and have inspired others to take up learning;
- Learning Projects: for projects which offer innovative learning opportunities that have a positive impact on the lives of their learners.
There are a range of new award categories for both individuals and projects that reflect the breadth of learning which takes place:
- Learning through Technology Award
- Learning through Sport Award
- Learning Life Skills Award
- Learning with Family or Community Award
- Learning through Arts, Craft Skills or Culture Award
- Learning for Health Award European Social Fund (ESF) Awards
- Learning for Work Award (Including Apprentice of the Year Award)
- Young Adult Learner of the Year (Individual only)
- Senior Learner of the Year (Individual only)
The easiest way to make a nomination is by completing and submitting the online form.
When nominating, tell NIACE about the individual or project you are nominating and why they stand out. NIACE will then ask for a statement from the learner about what learning means to them. Watch a film about what makes a good nomination, to give you some ideas about what to include in your nomination form.
All nominations made will be entered into a weekly prize draw giving nominators the chance to win £50 worth of gift vouchers. Submit your form early for a greater chance of winning.
Details about the awards, eligibility information and guidance notes are all available on the Adult Learners’ Week website.
Nominations close at 5pm, Thursday 13 December 2012.